There's something so satisfying about eating something that has been grown in your garden, so when the apples start to appear on the tree, apple crumble for dessert it is! My summers version has a twist of lemon to give it that summery zing.
• 900g cooking apples.
• 175g granulated sugar
• Finely grated zest of lemon
• 6tbsp water
For the crumble
• 175g plain flour
• 90g butter
• 60g demerara sugar
Quick utensil check
• Measuring scales and spoons
• Baking dish
• Chopping board, knives and corer
• Mixing bowl
Let's get ready to crumble
• Add the flour and butter (room temperature) to a bowl and rub together until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar and leave to one side.
• Grate the zest of one lemon and add to a mixing bowl along with six tablespoons of water and 175g of water. Stir together and leave to one side.
• Quarter, peel and core the apples, slice thinly and then add to the bowl with the sugar, water and lemon mixture.
• Toss the slices in the mixture and layer in the baking dish. Sprinkle the topping evenly over the apples and bake in a pre heated oven at 180 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown.
• Serve at once with ice cream or cream